By Rajat Bhargava Posted February 26, 2015
What is DaaS? DaaS is short for Directory-as-a-Service®. It’s a play on the SaaS and IaaS terms that are popularizing throughout new IT and business dictionaries. Similar to its “-aaS” predecessors, DaaS is a cloud-based service that connects and manages users, their devices, IT applications, and the networks they need to connect to do their jobs.
The SaaS-based approach to a cloud directory service includes the authentication, authorization, and management of users to their IT resources. The unified cloud directory is the core component of a managed directory service. In addition to the functionality provided by the core directory service, Directory-as-a-Service includes ongoing client support for on-premise components as well as cloud infrastructure and Web applications.
Why Should I Care About Directory Services?
A directory is the authoritative resource in an organization that controls access to devices, internal applications, cloud-based infrastructure, web-based applications, and networks and networking infrastructure (via RADIUS). Directories in the modern era are based on the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP). They also leverage many other protocols to support authentication and authorization of devices and applications. These protocols can include RADIUS, SAML, SSH, and OAuth. A modern directory service is essentially a database of users and the access connections that each individual user has. As a result, those connections can be accessed through a variety of different standard protocols.
The core principles of an innovative unified cloud directory solution include:
- Cloud-based – delivered from the cloud and working with the cloud
- Ubiquitous – a cloud-based directory can work from anywhere, for any type of device and IT resource or platform (G Suite, Office 365, AWS, and more)
- Ongoing, Seamless Management – device management is a critical component of virtual directory service, especially with cloud infrastructure that may live on a variety of other networks
- Uninterrupted Security – a highly secure directory service that also helps detect user compromises
- Technical Simplicity – a managed cloud directory takes the heavy lifting off of IT admins and is easy to use
Identity-as-a-Service Is The Next Generation Of Directory Services
It takes the best of legacy directories and moves it to a next generation cloud-based directory service. There are so many benefits of this approach for IT organizations. Not only is there increased control over the proliferation of devices and types of devices but also increased security. In addition, there’s a reduction in management effort and time required by IT admins.
If you’re building a new business, or are ready to scale more SaaS-based solutions into the fabric of your business, include DaaS in your technology toolkit. Finally, you can get started by signing up today. You’ll be glad you did.