If you are an IT admin, you already know that setting up and managing LDAP can be painful. Most of the time you're in charge of managing the system at the command line to set up the right capabilities that you need. LDAP GUIs only solve part of your problems. Tasks such as understanding the concepts of and setting up the underlying tree-schema correctly, having it networked correctly so all of your systems can see it, yet also keeping it secure, are all still painful for IT admins. They also all require significant skills in networking, Unix server administration, and on-going care and maintenance of a critical piece of infrastructure.
After configuring LDAP, the real work starts when you start to connect your applications to it. Both the LDAP clients and the server will need to be tightly aligned so they connect properly. If you are using the more secure method of LDAPS, that will introduce yet more complexity.
JumpCloud’s LDAP-as-a-Service simplifies all of these management and configuration issues. For example, you don’t have to worry about installation and setup or the networking pieces. The complexity of the LDAP protocol and underlying schema are all removed from the equation. Standard configurations simplify connecting applications and devices to the LDAP-as-a-Service servers. Because you are leveraging a cloud-based directory, it is available securely to all of your devices and applications. The entire overhead of managing and ensuring the availability of LDAP is taken care of for you.
- Highly available, global LDAP servers
- RFC 2307-compliant schema
- Standard LDAP configurations to enable connections with virtually all LDAP clients
- LDAP and LDAPS available (ports 389 in clear text or STARTTLS, and 636 with SSL)
- Support for inetOrgPerson, groupOfNames, posixGroup objects
- Users can be bind-only, or can both bind and search with a single mouse-click
- Support for memberOf overlay (identify group membership from the user)
- Support for group member search (identify group membership from the group)
- Easy to use SaaS interface
- End User/Employee Self Service
- Control your whole directory via a simple REST API
- LDAP delivered as a service — no need to install, configure, and manage your own LDAP server
- Standards-based schema and directory structure — continuously improved and compatibility-tested with a variety of different applications
- Low latency — GEO IP-based server look ups coupled with servers across the globe keep latency low
- Automatic High Availability — JumpCloud’s automated load balancing, elastic scaling and redundancy means your end users will never be denied access to the applications, systems and IT resources they depend on.
- Avoid Management Overhead — zero installation or server configuration and no on-going management hassles.