- Before changing an existing user, make sure you have read and understand the considerations noted in Naming Conventions for Users.
- Windows will not rename the home directory, but security permissions will be updated to the new username
- Any applications that may have depended on the old username may not be updated by the User Account wizard. Be sure to test any applications before making production changes
- Renaming a User Account Does Not Automatically Change the Profile Path
To change a username on Windows:
- Log into the system using an administrator account that is not the account being renamed. From a command line or PowerShell, run the User Accounts Management wizard:
PS C:\Users\Administrator> netplwiz
- Select the user, then click Properties.
- Change the User name value to match the Username in the JumpCloud directory.
- Click OK and restart the system.