The identity and access management (IAM) industry has a rich vernacular, one that is full of long words and acronyms. Being a cloud-based identity provider, here at JumpCloud, we also use many of these terms to talk about our product and the market we’re a part of. So, to help you navigate it all, we’ve been creating a “What is…” video series that breaks down what many of the terms and concepts mean. Jump right in by viewing the playlist below, or read the rest of this post for an overview of the topics covered in this video series.
Identity Management Space Explained
In completing any research on the identity management market, you’ll likely come across terms like single sign-on (SSO), identity-as-a-service (IDaaS), two-factor authentication, and many others. View these specific videos to gain a handle on what the different terms mean and how they fit in to the bigger identity management picture:
- What is Cloud Identity Management?
- What are Identity Federation Services?
- What is Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS)?
- What is Single Sign-On (SSO)?
- What is Privileged Identity Management?
- What is Two Factor Authentication (2FA)?
Interpreting Identity Provider Options
The IAM competitor landscape is teeming with options. Since each of them has their own naming scheme, it can be challenging to truly discern the functionality of each solution. Watch the videos below for a quick summary on the capabilities of IAM solutions from Microsoft, Google, and Amazon.
Microsoft Identity Management Services
- What is a Domain Controller?
- What is Active Directory Domain Services?
- What is Azure Active Directory?
- What is Azure® Active Directory Domain Services?
- What is Azure® AD Connect?
Identity Provider Basic Concepts
At the foundation of any identity management strategy, lies an identity provider (IdP). If you’ve been wondering what an identity provider is and would like to gain a better understanding of its basic functions, start with the videos in this section. You’ll walk away with a better understanding of the core concepts associated with directory services, like what it means to manage users, systems and other IT resources:
- What is User Management?
- What are User Attributes?
- What is an SSH Key Manager?
- What is Group Management?
- What is System Management?
- What are GPOs (and JumpCloud Policies)?
- What is Linux System Management?
- What is Mac® System Management?
- What is Full Disk Encryption (FDE)?
- What is FileVault Management?
- What is BitLocker Management?
LDAP and RADIUS Access Control
- What is LDAP-as-a-Service?
- What is RADIUS-as-a-Service?
- What is WiFi Authentication?
- What is Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) Tagging?
Insight into IT Authentication Protocols
A core differentiator for using a modern IdP like JumpCloud is its ability to integrate with a variety of protocols like LDAP, Samba, SAML, SSH, and many more. If you need to brush up on what some of these IT authentication protocols do, watch these videos for a quick refresh:
Going Beyond the “What is…” Video Series
Ready to go beyond the “What is…” video series from JumpCloud? Consider watching the whiteboard video playlist below. In each video, our Chief Strategy Officer delves into the details on how various JumpCloud features work. On the other hand, if you’re ready to learn more about how JumpCloud can solve your identity management needs, sign up for a free demo. You’ll get to see the product in action and have the opportunity to ask all of your questions. Have questions that can’t wait? Drop us a note, and we’ll promptly get back to you.