By Greg Keller Posted March 26, 2017
There’s been a movement in the past few years to innovate in the identity management space. Most of that innovation has been around cloud identity management – shifting the process of authentication and authorization to the cloud. Unfortunately, the initial take on this was effectively single sign-on to web applications or what many have called IDaaS.
Definition of Cloud Identity Management:
Cloud identity management is a lot more than just a simple web app SSO solution. Think of this next generation of IAM to be a holistic shift of the identity provider to the cloud. Called Directory-as-a-Service® — or DaaS — this is the modern adaptation of the traditional, on-prem and legacy solutions, Microsoft Active Directory (AD) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP). The modern adaptation of the directory service is optimized to be used across any device, on any operating system, with any IT or Web-based application, and in the cloud for cloud, on-prem, or remote resources. Modern cloud IAM solutions are also focused on being multi-protocol to enable virtually any IT resource to connect in their ‘native’ authentication language.
A Modern Cloud Identity Management Solution such as DaaS Lets You:
- Securely connect employees, their devices, IT applications (on-prem or the cloud), and networks
- Enjoy zero management overhead, improved security and user manageability with your directory service as a SaaS-based solution
- Connect your cloud servers (hosted at AWS, Google Cloud, or elsewhere) to your existing AD or LDAP user store
- Extend your existing AD or LDAP directory to the cloud
- Manage your Windows, Linux, and Mac desktops, laptops, and servers regardless of location
- Connect users to applications that leverage either LDAP or SAML-based authentication
- Manage user access to WiFi networks securely through a cloud RADIUS service
- GPO-like capabilities across Mac, Windows, and Linux devices
- System-based and application-level multi-factor authentication (2FA)
In a sense, all of these capabilities are creating a True Single Sign-On™ platform that connects users to virtually all of their IT resources regardless of provider, platform, protocol, or location.
As IT admins know, legacy identity management solutions struggle in an era of cloud services, mixed-device environments, G Suite/Office 365, AWS, and more. The JumpCloud® approach to cloud identity management makes quick work of being a modern directory or extending your existing directory to the cloud with a powerful, easy-to-use SaaS-based solution.
You can see more in our video:
Positive Impacts of Cloud Identity Management
Cloud identity management can be crucial to your organization. It can influence the productivity of your employees and the security of your organization. It can also have a massive influence on what technology solutions you choose. If you are locked into certain platforms or providers because of your existing directory service, take a look at a vendor-neutral cloud identity management solution.
Drop us a note to learn more about how JumpCloud’s modern take on IDaaS can support your organization. Please also check out our cloud identity provider for yourself by signing up for a free account. Your first 10 users are free forever.